Close  

Mom warns cops after ‘Barok’ brod dies

THE MOTHER of drug lord “Barok” Alvaro at the Danao police station where she warned policemen she can have them killed by her son.  PHOTOS BY TONEE DESPOJO/CEBU DAILY NEWS

THE MOTHER of drug lord “Barok” Alvaro at the Danao police station where she warned policemen she can have them killed by her son. PHOTOS BY TONEE DESPOJO/CEBU DAILY NEWS

CEBU CITY—Two unidentified men shot at the police station in Danao City, northern Cebu, early on Friday, four hours after the brother of suspected drug lord Alvaro “Barok” Alvaro was killed in a buy-bust operation.

The two men, on board a black motorcycle, arrived 15 meters from the police station past 2 a.m. One of the men fired a gun at the building’s second floor, sending 12 policemen on duty seeking cover.

ADVERTISEMENT

PO3 Arnold Labene, of the Danao police, said at least 21 bullets were fired from a 9mm pistol.

By the time Senior Insp. Alejandro Batobalonos, Danao police chief, and his men checked the source of the shooting, the suspects had already fled.

FEATURED STORIES

No one was hurt in the attack.

Police are linking the gun attack to the killing of Medz Alvaro and a companion, Ronnie Castro, during a buy bust operation 11 p.m. on Thursday.

Medz is brother of Barok. Their mother, Ema, barged into the police station after Medz was killed and threatened the policemen on duty.

“I can have you killed by my son,” policemen quoted Ema as shouting. Ema was apparently referring to Barok, who is now detained at the Cebu provincial rehabilitation and detention center.

The man who fired his gun at the station is believed to be working for Barok and is now under surveillance, said Batobalonos.

Witnesses recognized the two suspects because they were not wearing helmets, Batobalonos said.

Barok is the right-hand man of Jeffrey “Jaguar” Diaz, the biggest drug lord in Central Visayas who was killed in a police operation in Las Piñas City in June.

ADVERTISEMENT

Barok surrendered to authorities after Diaz was killed because he said he feared for his own safety. His brother, Medz, had been apparently involved in drugs, too.

Batobalonos said a buy-bust operation was conducted against Medz on the roadside in Sitio Pulangyuta, Barangay Looc in Danao City, some 33.1 kilometers north of Cebu City.

A confidential agent, who acted as a buyer, was about to receive “shabu” from Medz when Medz realized it was a sting operation.

Medz pulled out a 9mm pistol and shot policemen. Batobalonos said policemen returned fire, hitting the two suspects in different parts of the bodies.

Recovered from Medz were a 9mm pistol with a magazine and live ammunition, 15 plastic sachets of shabu and P1,000 in cash.

Police seized from Castro a .45-cal. pistol with magazine and live ammunition, and four sachets of shabu.

The two were brought to a hospital where they were declared dead.

DRUG lord Alvaro “Barok” Alvaro during his surrender to the Cebu provincial police station in June.

DRUG lord Alvaro “Barok” Alvaro during his surrender to the Cebu provincial police station in June.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Barok alvaro, Danao City, Drug bust, Kill List, Regions, Visayas
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Actor Miko Palanca passes away at 41

December 10, 2019 08:58 AM

entertainment

U2 now in Manila for December 11 concert

December 10, 2019 08:54 AM

newsinfo

6-month extension of Angkas pilot run pushed

December 10, 2019 08:25 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.