Close  

MNLF leader: Duterte’s BBL stand dangerous

By: - Reporter / @JeromeAningINQ
/ 12:55 AM July 11, 2016

A LEADER of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) on Sunday described as a possibly “dangerous” approach President Duterte’s statement that the legislation of the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) would only be pursued if his administration’s plan to change the system of government to federalism failed.

“This approach of the President is like keeping an activated bomb at the backburner. His approach is maybe dangerous to pursue,” MNLF central committee chair Muslimin Sema said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sema said the Bangsamoro people may not be able to wait for an “uncertain period” in implementing the agreements signed with the government by the MNLF and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) that resulted from “major compromises” from their original objectives of total freedom and independence.

 1976 agreement

FEATURED STORIES

He pointed out that the 1976 Tripoli Agreement signed between the Philippine government  and the MNLF pertained to a particular area—Muslim Mindanao—unlike the Duterte administration’s federal plan, which covers many areas.

Sema recalled that there was a convergence and harmonization of the MILF and MNLF peace tracts signed on June 29, 2016, and implementing these soonest during Duterte’s administration may serve as a model for the other areas of the Philippines in line with the government’s federalization plan.

The MILF and the MNLF signed in Darapanan, Maguindanao province, a joint statement to organize a joint technical working group with the task of finding common ground in the agreements signed by the government with the MNLF and the MILF.

This was in compliance with a resolution on the question of Muslims in the Southern Philippines issued by the Organization of Islamic Conference’s council for foreign ministers in May last year.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Moro National Liberation Front, Nation, news, President Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

Gov’t lawyers blamed for water concession deals

December 10, 2019 04:58 AM

newsinfo

Burden of proof drags Marcos wealth cases

December 10, 2019 04:57 AM

newsinfo

Joma Sison backs peace talks resumption

December 10, 2019 04:55 AM

newsinfo

Gasoline prices decreased; diesel mixed

December 10, 2019 04:40 AM

newsinfo

Week after ‘Tisoy’: Bicol folk pick up the pieces

December 10, 2019 04:19 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.