outbrain
Close  

Bautista blamed for Comelec hacking

/ 03:56 AM July 08, 2016

Commission on Elections (Comelec) chair Andres Bautista should take full responsibility for a data hacking breach of the poll body’s website that compromised millions of voters early this year, an outspoken poll commissioner said.

Commissioner Rowena Guanzon said that among those discussed during the body’s last en banc meeting earlier this week was a summons by the National Privacy Commission (NPC) investigating the March 27 hacking incident.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bautista and fellow commissioners Christian Robert Lim and Al Parreño were among those called to appear before the NPC probe aimed at finding out how the website was defaced and the database of 55 million voters were publicly posted online.

But Guanzon said Bautista should take full responsibility for the incident, saying: “The Data Privacy Act has penalties and it says there that the head of office is responsible for informing the users, if there’s a hacking.”

FEATURED STORIES

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Andres Bautista, Comeleak, Comelec, hacking, Nation, news
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.