Mike Arroyo to travel to Japan, Hong Kong amid graft raps | Inquirer News

Mike Arroyo to travel to Japan, Hong Kong amid graft raps

/ 02:42 PM July 04, 2016
mike-arroyo-passport

Former First Gentleman Jose Miguel “Mike” Arroyo. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

The Sandiganbayan has allowed former first gentleman Jose Miguel “Mike” Arroyo to travel to Japan and Hong Kong even as he faces multiple graft charges before the court.

In separate resolutions, the anti-graft court Fourth and Seventh Divisions granted Arroyo’s motion for leave to travel to Japan from July 20 to 25 and Hong Kong from July 25 to 28.

ADVERTISEMENT

Arroyo said he will return to Manila on July 28.

READ: Mike Arroyo asks court anew to travel abroad amid graft raps

FEATURED STORIES

Arroyo through his lawyers said he should be allowed to travel because he is not a flight risk, especially because he has no reason to flee. He is charged with plunder along with his wife, former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, who is under hospital detention at the Veterans Memorial Medical Center.

The reelected Pampanga congresswoman Arroyo faces plunder for alleged misuse of P366 million in charity funds for personal gain.

READ: Sandigan denies Arroyo move to junk evidence in PCSO plunder case

Arroyo also said he had been allowed by the court to travel abroad before and he has always returned to face his charges.

READ: Sandiganbayan OKs Mike Arroyo’s travel abroad amid graft rap

The court ordered Arroyo to pay his P90,000 travel bond and to notify the court of his arrival five days after his return to the country.

The court said it would cite him in contempt in case of material misrepresentation and issue an arrest warrant if he violates the terms and conditions of the resolution.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the Seventh Division, the former first gentleman faces graft trial for allegedly selling two secondhand helicopters  to the Philippine National Police and passing them off as brand new in 2009.

Arroyo has denied owning the two Robinsons R44 Raven I helicopters supposedly used by his wife in the 2004 presidential elections.

In the Fourth Division, Arroyo is a co-accused in the graft case of his wife involving a $329-million National Broadband Network (NBN) deal with Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE.

He stands accused of facilitating the alleged overpriced deal and using his influence as first gentleman. RAM/rga

READ: Court allows Arroyo bid to discredit evidence in graft raps 

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: former First Gentleman Jose Miguel "Mike" Arroyo, Graft, Hong Kong, Japan
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.