Paolo Duterte shares stories behind protocol breach, ‘photobomb’
DAVAO CITY—Paolo Duterte, eldest son of President Rodrigo Duterte and vice mayor of this city, shares stories behind some of the light moments that transpired on Thursday during his father’s inauguration as the 16th Philippine President at the Malacañang Palace.
Speaking to reporters on Friday, Paolo said the Presidential Security Group (PSG) got angry when he and his two siblings—Davao City Mayor Sara and Sebastian—broke Palace protocol to greet their father’s well-wishers who had been waiting outside the compound.
The presidential son joked that members of the PSG may have thought that Visayans are stubborn people.
“Nagkagulo pa nga ang PSG kasi after ng inauguration, kaming tatlo, lumabas din kami para pasalamatan yung well-wishers ni President Duterte. Galit [sila]. Kulang na lang sabihin nila, matigas talaga ‘yung ulo ng mga Bisaya,” he said.
He is now being accompanied by three PSG guards wherever he goes.
Apart from the President’s children, their mother, Duterte’s former wife Elizabeth Zimmerman, also greeted supporters outside the Palace and obliged requests for selfies.
The vice mayor also shared that the now viral photo of the three siblings being “photobombed” by their father was a spur of the moment decision.
“Inday (Sara) is fond of selfies, ‘groufies,’ so nangyari na lang talaga ‘yun. Parang, ‘OK, gawin natin itong photobomb.’ Walang magawa sa loob. Kami-kami lang doon. Bawal lumabas,” Paolo said.
The viral photo, which was posted by Mindanao-based news organization Newsdesk, has recorded more than 43,000 likes and more than 8,600 shares on Facebook as of Friday afternoon.
It shows the President fixing the cuff of his barong while Paolo, Sara, and Sebastian smile for the camera.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.