Police task force probing 12 NCRPO men who interfered in Bulacan drug bust
CAMP GEN. ALEJO SANTOS, Bulacan — A police task force is investigating 12 policemen claiming to be members of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO), who interfered in the June 21 seizure of suspected shabu (metamphetamine hydrochloride) during a police operation in Baliwag town in this province.
The Baliwag police set up a checkpoint on Tuesday night at the request of the Central Luzon police, and detained a vehicle that had been placed under police surveillance.
The policemen, led by their chief, Supt. Froilan Uy, arrested the car’s passengers, Michael Lim and Rodel De Borja, who possessed 10 kilos of suspected narcotics.
But the Baliwag policemen were caught off guard when 12 men drove up, and informed Uy that Lim and de Borja were NCRPO civilian assets.
Uy said he checked the men’s documents, detailing the alleged NCRPO operation, and discovered that the vehicle carrying Lim and de Borja were not on the operation’s list of vehicles.
Advised about the discrepancy, Senior Supt. Romeo Caramat Jr., Bulacan police director, invited the 12 NCRPO operatives for questioning.
But Caramat said he had to release the NCRPO team, and the two civilians, who promised to return if further investigation was warranted.
In a Thursday (June 23) news conference, Senior Supt. Benjamin Hulipas, Central Luzon deputy police director for administration, said the task force was formed to determine whether the NCRPO operation was legitimate, and if Lim and De Borja’s credentials as goverment assets were real.
He said the task force would also probe the Bulacan Police Office to determine if it erred in releasing Lim, De Borja and the 12 NCRPO policemen. SFM
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.