Authorities checking reported release of woman abducted in Samal
ZAMBOANGA CITY—Police and military authorities on Friday said they were checking the reported release of Maritess Flor, who was among four persons kidnapped from a marina on Samal Island in September last year.
Among those who got the report on the Filipino woman’s supposed freedom was Octavio Dinampo, executive director of Tulung Lupah Sug Inc.
Dinampo said based on what was told him by a “reliable source based in Canada,” Flor was released after “some quarters” paid P30 million to the Abu Sayyaf. The same source, he said, also told him that “they are working hard for the release” of Flor’s companions, Norwegian Kjartan Sekkingstand and Canadian Robert Hall.
Hall earlier said in a video that he would be the next to be beheaded after fellow Canadian John Ridsdel if ransom was not met.
“I’m told to tell you that on June the 13th at 3 p.m., I will be murdered if the demand is not met,” Hall said in the video, which was posted by the Maryland-based Site Intelligence Group in mid-May.
Supt. Junpikar Sittin, the Jolo police chief, said he had not received any report on Flor’s release.
“We will check if indeed it’s true,” Sittin said.
Major Filemon Tan Jr., the spokesperson of the Western Mindanao Command, also said the military had no report of Flor’s liberty.
Flordeliza, Maritess’ mother, said the family also had no information on her daughter’s reported release.
“We are still clueless on her fate. No one has informed us about her status but if she was indeed released. That is the greatest news (for us),” Flordeliza told the Inquirer. With a report from Karlos Manlupig/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.