Girl dies after eating puffer fish in Camarines Sur | Inquirer News

Girl dies after eating puffer fish in Camarines Sur

/ 06:45 PM June 09, 2016
Puffer fish (File photo from nataliadj.com)

Puffer fish (File photo from nataliadj.com)

LEGAZPI CITY– A four-year-old girl died on Thursday morning several hours after she shared a meal of puffer fish, locally known as “butete” or “tikong,” with her family in Siruma town in Camarines Sur province on Wednesday night, a health official said.

In a telephone interview, Dr. John Paul Reazon, chief of the Tinambac Municipal Hospital, said Mia Borines died while four members of her family experienced symptoms of food poisoning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reazon said the victim’s father, Romeo, 48, cooked the fish for dinner on Wednesday. By 6 a.m. Thursday, Romeo and his children Mia; Mar, 9; Christine, 6; and Romeo Jr., 14, experienced vomiting, weakness and difficulty in breathing.

Romeo’s wife and the children’s mother, whom Reazon did not identify, was spared after she consumed only the broth of the cooked fish.

FEATURED STORIES

Romeo and his children Mar, Christine and Romeo Jr. were reported to be in stable condition as of Thursday afternoon.  SFM

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: butete, Camarines Sur, children who die of poisoning, death by poisoning, difficulty in breathing, Dr. John Paul Reazon, Mia Borines, News, poisoning, Puffer fish, Regions, Romeo Borines, Siruma municipality, tikong, Tinambac Municipal Hospital, vomiting, weakeness
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.