BSP, AMLC: We’re not source of leak info on Duterte’s alleged bank accounts
MANILA — The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) and the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) on Monday said leaked information on the bank accounts allegedly owned by presidential aspirant Rodrigo Duterte did not come from them.
“We would like to categorically state that the BSP and the AMLC are not the source of the documents and information being cited by a vice presidential candidate regarding the alleged bank accounts of a certain presidential candidate,” BSP officer-in-charge Vicente S. Aquino said in a statement, referring to vice presidential bet, Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV, and Duterte, respectively.
“We assure the Filipino people that the BSP and the AMLC are not engaged in partisan politics and will never allow themselves to be used as a tool for political persecution or harassment, or as an instrument to hamper competition in trade and commerce,” Aquino said.
Trillanes said he got bank documents from the BPI showing that Duterte has been maintaining a joint account with his daughter, Sara Duterte, which contained P211 million. The bank account and the contents were never declared in the mayor’s statement of assets, liabilities and net worth.
Duterte admitted that he opened the account but said he never had P211 million in the BPI. In a television interview, he said he made it appear that he got that amount last week to push Trillanes to sign an affidavit on his allegations.
Trillanes showed up at the bank on Monday in a confrontation with Duterte’s lawyer, Salvador Panelo. SFM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.