Dead Kidapawan protester tested positive for gunshot residue—PNP
The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Saturday revealed the results of an initial investigation conducted by the Scene of the Crime Operations (SOCO) on the bloody clash between farmers and cops in Kidapawan City that led to the death of at least two protesters.
Citing a report from North Cotabato provincial director PSSupt. Alex Tagum, PNP spokesperson Wilben Mayor said one of the dead protesters tested positive for gunshot residue.
“One of the dead rallyist yielded positive results during the paraffin test. The SOCO team also recovered 2 empty shells of calibre .45 at the area previously occupied by the rallyists and a deformed slug of calibre .38 at a makeshift station previously occupied by our police,” Mayor said in a statement.
Mayor said a total of 99 PNP personnel were injured from the clash, while one is still in criticial condition.
“Current records also indicate that 2 rallyists died, while 10 were injured, during the incident. We note, however, that these figures reflect only those that sought medical attention. We understand that some rallyist may have suffered other injuries that either did not require medical attention, or they chose to treat through their own means,” he added.
At least two farmers were dead and several others were wounded after the bloody dispersal of protesters at the Cotabato-Davao Highway in Kidapawan City on Friday. The farmers, who were demanding relief and subsidy for farm communities affected by the dry spell, said police authorities fired the first shot.
Mayor said protesters were profiled to be residents of North Cotabato, but added that some are from Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, Bukidnon, and Sultan Kudarat. JE
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.