outbrain
Close  

Roxas camp proposes signing of written rules before final debate

/ 04:54 PM March 21, 2016
Sec Mar Roxas arrive at the debate vnue in UNiversity of the Philippines Cebu. (JM)

Mar Roxas. INQUIRER PHOTO

The camp of Liberal Party standard-bearer Mar Roxas is proposing that the candidates should sign a written set of rules before holding the third and last Commission on Elections-organized debate in April.

This is to avoid another disagreement or last-minute changes in the rules previously set by the Comelec, “Daang Matuwid” coalition spokesperson and Akbayan Rep. Barry Gutierrez said on Monday, a day after the debate which was delayed for almost two hours due to a miscommunication between TV5 and Vice President Jejomar Binay’s camp.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Dispute on Binay’s notes mars second presidential debate

“Kaya ang isang ipropropose namin sa huling debate, mag meeting tayo, within how many meetings it takes—two or three meetings. Pero sa dulo let’s have a signed written set of rules para pag dating doon sa debate walang gulatan, wala ng bawian, walang teka hindi ito yung pinagusapan natin,” Gutierrez, who was present during the meeting moments before the debate, said in a media briefing.

FEATURED STORIES

“At the end of the day it was disservice to everyone, not just the candidates, but to all of the Filipino people who wanted to watch the debate, who waited for more than 1 hour for the debate to actually start,” he added.

Gutierrez also denied rumors that it was Roxas who caused the delay, stressing that the members of Binay’s team were the ones demanding for a change in the rule.

Among all the candidates present at University of the Philippines Visayas in Cebu City, it was Roxas who strongly protested Binay’s insistence on bringing documents.

READ: Row over rules delays second presidential debate

Gutierrez recalled that Comelec Chairman Andres Bautista reiterated in their meetings that the same set rules as in the first “PiliPinas” debate in Cagayan de Oro City would apply to the second round of the presidential debate.

Included in the rules imposed by the poll body is that the candidates are not allowed to bring notes, cellphone, any electronic device and aids. They are only allowed to hold blank pieces of paper provided by the Comelec where they can jot down notes.

The last round of the presidential debates will be held on April 24 at the University of Pangasinan. It will be hosted by ABS-CBN and Manila Bulletin. JE

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED VIDEOS

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Binay, Cebu debate, debate, delay, Elections 2016, Jejomar Binay, jojo binay, Mar Roxas, Roxas
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.