Arroyo camp no-show at plunder trial
The camp of former president and incumbent Pampanga Representative Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo did not show up at the resumption of her plunder trial at the Sandiganbayan on Wednesday even after the status quo ante order from the Supreme Court (SC) lapsed last Feb. 19.
“The hearing on former president Arroyo and former Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office chairman Sergio Valencia was suspended until there is further notice from the Supreme Court,” said Moises Tolentino, counsel of co-accused former budget officer Benito Aguas.
Last November, the SC had extended the said status quo ante order it had earlier issued, which was intended to temporarily halt Arroyo’s plunder trial.
There was still no clear order from the SC as of Wednesday, Tolentino said.
Arroyo is facing plunder charges in connection with P360-million confidential and intelligence funds of the PCSO from 2008 to 2010.
The former president remains under hospital arrest at the military-run Veterans Memorial Medical Center in Quezon City. RAM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.