MMDA issues traffic advisory to motorists for EDSA rites
MANILA — The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has warned motorists of possible traffic along the northbound lane of Edsa from Santolan to the People Power Monument since organizers of the Edsa People Power anniversary will hold a dry run of the annual “salubungan” on Wednesday night (Feb. 24).
In an advisory, the agency has announced that the Edsa People Power Commission (PPC) will have a rehearsal of the “salubungan” or the reenactment of the meeting of soldiers and ordinary citizens during the 1986 People Power revolution, starting 8 p.m. (Feb. 24).
The actual “salubungan” will be on Thursday’s anniversary celebration along the northbound lane of the major thoroughfare. The MMDA has also announced that they will close Edsa northbound from Ortigas to Santolan starting 12 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursday, to give way to the activity.
MMDA Chairman Emerson Carlos and Rey Arada, head of the Edsa Special Traffic and Transport Zone (STTZ), gave the following details on the traffic arrangements during the 30th anniversary of the EDSA People Power Revolution:
* A zipper lane will be opened along Edsa southbound to accommodate northbound vehicles from SM Megamall to Camp Aguinaldo. “Motorists who will be using the zipper lane can exit in front of the gate of Camp Crame and resume plying northbound of Edsa,” Carlos added.
* The westbound lane of White Plains Avenue will also be closed to vehicular traffic since a portion will be utilized as a staging area for the experiential museum.
* The MMDA will also place directional signs in strategic areas along the northbound lane of Edsa to guide vehicles, especially public utility buses towards the alternate routes. Some of the designated alternate routes are Shaw Boulevard, Kalayaan and Mckinley Road which can be used to get to C5 all the way to Boni Serrano in Quezon City.
* Motorists can also use Roxas Boulevard, Quirino, Osmeña, Ayala, Buendia, R. Magsaysay Boulevard and Quezon Avenue if they are going north, according to Arada, head of the Edsa Special Traffic and Transport Zone (STTZ).
* Motorists who will use White Plains can instead utilize Kamias Road, Aurora Boulevard, P. Tuazon, Boni Serrano and Ortigas Avenue. “The flyover leading to Meralco Avenue in Pasig City will also be temporarily closed,” Arada said.
* Vehicles going to the Ortigas Center will be rerouted to Shaw Boulevard where left-turning will also be allowed, according to Arada.
“We will put more enforcers at the intersection of Shaw Boulevard and Edsa and along Kalayaan Avenue in Makati City,” the Edsa STTZ head said. SFM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.