Señeres’ ‘substitute’ in presidential race denied by Comelec
MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has denied the petition for substitution filed by the political party of the late presidential candidate Roy Señeres.
“We denied the substitution of [Apolonia] Soguilon… because of a different last name,” Comelec Chair Andres Bautista in an interview with reporters.
Section 19 of Comelec Resolution No. 9984 states that a substitute of a candidate who died or is disqualified may file a COC up to mid-day of May 9, the day of the elections.
However, the resolution said that the substitute should have the same surname as that of the candidate being substituted.
Soguilon, who claims to be a lawyer, was fielded by the Partido ng Manggagawa at Magsasaka (PMM) to take Señeres’ place in the presidential race.
Soguilon was also among the presidential aspirants whose candidacies were previously deemed nuisance by the Comelec.
Melchor Chavez, the party’s secretary-general, on Thursday, went to the Comelec main office in Manila to ask for the copy of the resolution. He said they would question the Comelec’s decison before the high court.
“If they wish to question our action, they’re free to go to the Supreme Court,” Bautista said.
Señeres passed away on Feb. 8 due to cardiac arrest, days after he expressed his intention to withdraw his candidacy due to health issues.
His name, however, stays on the official ballot, as conflicting requests from his family and political party remained unresolved until the supposed start of printing last Monday.
While Seneres’ political party wants Soguilon to replace him in the presidential race, his family, through lawyer Candelaria Rivas, earlier told the Comelec the late ambassador wanted no one to substitute for him as a presidential candidate. SFM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.