outbrain
Close  

Ex-IBP head accuses Aquino admin of selective justice

/ 09:33 PM December 20, 2015

Whatever happened to pending cases against allies of the administration?

Former Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) President Vicente Joyas posed this question as he accused the Aquino administration of selective justice.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said he was still expecting that the cases pending before the Department of Justice and the Office of the Ombudsman against administration allies would finally be resolved.

Without any update or result, he said he would stick to his earlier statement that the Aquino administration is exercising selective justice.

FEATURED STORIES

“There is still selective prosecution. Opposition candidates and supporters are now the subjects of prosecution,” Joyas said.

Among the unresolved cases involving administration allies were two complaints against Budget Secretary Florencio “Butch” Abad.

While Abad is already being subjected to formal probe over the controversial Disbursement Acceleration Program, he is facing a separate case in connection with the multi-billion-peso pork barrel fund scam. Named respondents along with Abad were President Benigno Aquino III and Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala.

The Department of Agriculture served as one of the implementing agencies of PDAF in disbursing the funds to purported bogus NGOs.

Another plunder complaint was later filed against Alcala, in June 2014, for his involvement in a purported overpriced “midnight” rice importation deal from Vietnam. It was one of four plunder cases against the Agriculture secretary that is still pending with the Ombudsman.

Aside from that, opposition candidates like Senator Grace Poe are being slapped with disqualification cases. On the other hand, Vice President Jejomar Binay who is running for president and his family are being accused of graft and corruption.

Recently, a plunder complaint was filed against suspended Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr. by lawyer Renato Bondal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Joyas said the complaint is apparently politically motivated that could be part of the administration’s plot against the Vice President’s chances in the 2016 presidential election.

Like Joyas, former University of the East law dean Amador Valdez said Bondal’s complaint could be misconstrued as political harassment, especially since Junjun Binay’s father Jejomar is seeking the presidency in next May’s polls against administration bet, Mar Roxas.

“That seems to be the agenda, to create collateral damage on the candidacy of the vice-president (as well),” said Valdez.

“Yes, there is possibility this is connected to the VP. Guilty by association. It is a perception game,” said Valdez.

Bondal filed his P228-million plunder complaint filed before the Ombudsman last week against the dismissed mayor and two information technology (IT) companies

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Elections 2016, Jejomar Binay, Nation, news
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.