Albay takes back zero casualty claim; 4 fishermen's remains recovered | Inquirer News
Close  

Albay takes back zero casualty claim; 4 fishermen’s remains recovered

By: - Correspondent / @msarguellesINQ
/ 10:02 AM December 18, 2015

LEGAZPI CITY—Albay Governor Joey Salceda on Friday said Albay was taking back its zero casualty declaration following the recovery of the remains of four fishermen from Tabaco City who went on a fishing expedition last December 6 yet but were still at sea when Typhoon “Nona” slammed into the province last Monday.

READ: No death in Albay during ‘Nona’ – Salceda

ADVERTISEMENT

The bodies of the four of the five missing fishermen were recovered floating at sea in the shorelines of Albay and Sorsogon while the lone survivor, Robert Busito, 21, was rescued in the waters off the town of Barcelona, Sorsogon last Dec. 14.

So far, only one of the four fatalities was identified as Edwin Bagarinao, 20. His body was recovered off the waters of Barangay (village) Dancalan, Bulusan, Sorsogon, said Senior Inspector Maria Luisa Calubaquib, Bicol police spokesperson.

FEATURED STORIES

Salceda said the provincial government was deeply saddened by their deaths and condoled with their families whom they had assisted when the fishermen were first reported missing.

“We are hereby taking back our declaration of zero casualty to unequivocally speak our sadness in losing lives to Typhoon Nona and uphold the sacredness of every life to our community,” Salceda said.

READ: In Albay, case of 45-yr-old man testing casualty definition

He said the incident should also prompt self-reflections towards lessons learned and new protocols “so we further avoid such deaths in the future.”

“No excuses but new lessons and greater commitment to zero casualty,” Salceda said.

He added: “Our duty is to take care of our people even under the most difficult context. And to do this, we are guided by ‘zero casualty goal.’”

Salceda said the zero casualty goal “is not just a statistic,” but “refers to the body of measures we must take to ensure that no one even the most vulnerable will not fall by wayside due to a disaster.” RAM

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Click here for more weather related news.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Albay, casualty, declaration, Fishermen, Nona, province, Typhoon, Weather, zero
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.