UN says 5,700 have been killed in Yemen conflict since March | Inquirer News
Close  

UN says 5,700 have been killed in Yemen conflict since March

/ 11:24 AM November 19, 2015
Mideast Yemen

People carry a man who was injured in clashes between tribal fighters and Shiite rebels known as Houthis, in Taiz, Yemen, Sunday, Oct. 25, 2015. Yemen’s fighting pits the Houthis and allied army units against forces loyal to the internationally recognized government as well as southern separatists and other militants. The UN says at least 2,577 civilians were killed since the Saudi-led air campaign began in March, while 5,078 have been injured. AP

UNITED NATIONS — The United Nations says 5,700 people have been killed in the conflict in Yemen since March 26, including 830 women and children, while efforts to coax all sides into another attempt at peace talks continue.

Meanwhile, basic services are collapsing in what was already the Arab world’s poorest country, the UN’s humanitarian coordinator for Yemen, Johannes Van Der Klaauw, told reporters Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said 21.2 million people, or 82 percent of the country’s population, require some kind of humanitarian assistance. Fourteen million people lack sufficient access to health care. And 1.8 million children have been out of school since the conflict began.

“Nearly 320,000 children are acutely malnourished,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

He did not say how many civilians were among the 5,700 killed during the conflict. The UN human rights office in late October reported that more than 2,600 civilians had been killed so far, about two-thirds of them by airstrikes.

READ: Somalia PM says ending Yemen conflict crucial to stop extremists | UN envoy: No time to waste for Yemen peace talks

Since March, a coalition led by neighboring Saudi Arabia and backed by the United States in support of Yemen’s internationally recognized government has been fighting Iran-backed Houthi rebels who had seized large parts of the country, including the capital, Sanaa.

The international community has pleaded for months for the coalition to ease restrictions on crucial commercial imports such as fuel and medical supplies. Van Der Klaauw said supplies of fuel, food, medicines and other supplies were dangerously low, while food prices have soared.

The conflict also has severely hurt international efforts to get aid to many places around Yemen.

The UN humanitarian coordinator said that about 120,000 people have fled the country during the fighting, and about 2.3 million people have fled their homes.

In addition, he noted that more than 8,800 human rights violations have been verified since the conflict began.

Last month, Human Rights Watch accused the UN Human Rights Council of failing to set up a fact-finding mission to scrutinize abuses in Yemen, saying members backed down under “intense pressure from Saudi Arabia.”

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Conflict, Death Toll, Human rights, UN Human Rights Council, United Nations, Yemen
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.