Close  

Lawmaker withdraws from Iligan mayoral race due to death threats

By: - Correspondent / @rumelINQ
/ 09:51 PM November 10, 2015
Vicente Belmonte Jr-1211

Iligan City representative Vicente Belmonte Jr. Photo from congress.gov.ph

ILIGAN CITY, Philippines – Citing security concerns, Rep. Vicente Belmonte Jr. said he has decided to withdraw from the mayoral race in next year’s polls.

Belmonte said he consulted his family and party mates before reaching the decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s final,” Belmonte told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

He said he has received information that the threat to his life has persisted.  He said he did not want to risk his life and those of his colleagues in the Liberal Party.

FEATURED STORIES

In December 2014, Belmonte survived an ambush allegedly masterminded by Mayor Celso Regencia, who denied the allegations.

Belmonte said at least 15 other suspects in the ambush have remained at large and “are planning to get me.”

“We will be vulnerable to attacks during the campaign period. I don’t want others, including my party mates, to be victims of such attack,” he said.

But Belmonte said he would only withdraw his certificate of candidacy if acting city mayor Ruderick Marzo agreed to be his substitute.

Marzo is eyeing to replace Belmonte as representative for the city’s lone congressional district. He will face former city mayor Lawrence Lluch Cruz.

Belmonte said Marzo running for mayor would be good for the Liberal Party as he would not have to go against Lluch Cruz, another LP member, in the congressional race.

Belmonte said Marzo had already “agreed in principle” to the substitution, but had asked for some time to decide.

ADVERTISEMENT

Marzo, in a separate interview, said he was still weighing things if he would run for mayor.

“I am still in the process of convincing my family. We have to assess whether the people really want me to run as mayor. We also have to look at our resources that we will have to spend for the campaign,” Marzo said. SFM

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2016 elections, Cagayan de Oro City, congressional election, congressmen, Death threats, Election, election violence, House of Representatives, lawmakers, Lawrence Lluch Cruz, Legislators, mayoral election, News, Philippine Congress, Regions, Ruderick Marzo, substitution, Vicente Belmonte Jr., withdrawal of candidacy
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.