2 siblings rushed to Capiz Hospital due to shellfish poisoning
ROXAS CITY, Capiz, Philippines — Two girls in Capiz were rushed to a hospital for treatment of paralytic shellfish or “red tide” poisoning on Wednesday, the Provincial Health Office (PHO) said
The two sisters from Sitio Bat-os, Barangay San Ramon in Pilar town experienced weakness of the body and extremities on Tuesday, which were symptoms of shellfish poisoning, Health Education and Promotions Officer III Ayr Altavas said.
The red tide phenomenon occurs when algae rapidly multiplies, producing toxins that can be fatal to humans and other wildlife.
The Capiz Epidemiological Surveillance and Response Unit (CESRU) of the PHO received a report from the Roxas Memorial Provincial Hospital (RMPH) about the suspected cases around 3 p.m. on Tuesday.
The CESRU verified the suspected cases after it coordinated with the Pilar Rural Health Unit (RHU). But the PHO released the information on the confirmed cases only on Wednesday afternoon.
Investigation revealed that the siblings consumed Sundial Shells (locally known as “batad”) from Sitio Bang-ogay, Barangay Natividad, also in Pilar town.
The shellfish was gathered on Sunday, two days after the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) declared the coastal waters of Pilar town positive of red tide toxin on Oct. 23.
The mother of the siblings cooked the shells on Oct. 26 for lunch and served it to the two kids and their other siblings.
The PHO report did not indicate how the shells or its meat were cooked.
The siblings did not exhibit symptoms of poisoning after they ate lunch but they experienced body weakness at 5 a.m. the next day.
They first sought medical attention at the Pilar RHU before they were brought to the RMPH for further care in the afternoon.
On Aug. 29, the BFAR declared a red tide contamination covering Sapian Bay in Capiz, prompting a province-wide ban on the gathering, selling and consumption of shellfish. But the alert was lifted nearly three weeks ago. SFM