Main suspect in rape-slay of Karen Montebon shot dead | Inquirer News
Close  

Main suspect in rape-slay of Karen Montebon shot dead

/ 10:02 PM September 22, 2015
karen kaye montebon2

FACEBOOK PHOTO

CEBU CITY, Philippines–The main suspect in the killing of 17-year-old accountancy student was killed about 5 p.m. on Tuesday on an island-village in Bohol province.

Senior Supt. Armando Radoc, Lapu-Lapu police director, said police operatives went to Nasingin Island in Getafe town, Bohol, to verify if Ruben Fernandez, suspect in the slay of Karen Kaye Montebon, was in the house.

ADVERTISEMENT

Before they could reach the house, the police heard bursts of gunfire. They later found Fernandez dead with gunshot wounds in the head and chest.

He said they didn’t know who killed Fernandez and what was the motives behind.

FEATURED STORIES

The police learned about the whereabouts of Fernandez from his live-in partner Jenalyn Soon who was picked up for questioning from her house on Olango Island in Cebu.

It turned out that Fernandez was hiding in the house of his sister on Nasingin Island.

Based on the investigation, Radoc said Fernandez was acting alone when he killed Montebon inside her room in his house in Corinthian Subdivision, Barangay Basak, Lapu-Lapu City on Sept. 15.

Soon told the police that she and Fernandez went to the house of the Montebon to ask if Soon’s sister who was based in Hawaii had sent money for them.

Soon’s sister would usually send money to Soon through Montebon’s mother.

When they left the house, Fernandez dropped Soon and claimed that his motorcycle had ran out of fuel.

She said she didn’t know that Fernandez went back to the house of the Montebon and took the camera, iPad, necklace, earrings and PSP before killing the girl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Radoc said they recovered the camera that had been pawned by Fernandez. TVJ

RELATED STORIES

Calls for justice echo over Cebu rape-killing 

Police clear man seen at Cebu slay victim’s house door

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Armando Radoc, Barangay Basak, Cebu Slay-Rape, Karen Montebon, Lapu-Lapu city, Ruben Fernandez
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.