Justice Secretary Leila de Lima on Monday said they are already preparing the extradition request to the US for the Fil-Am suspect in the death of a 23-year old Filipina in Zambales.
Jonathan Dewayne Ciocon Viane left the Philippines last July after the death of Karie Ces “Aika” De Dios Mojica, a resident of Subic, Zambales.
Viane was arrested by members of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) last Sept. 4.
De Lima said they have 60 days to submit the extradition request against Viane.
“He was arrested in Iowa on September 4 based on our request for provisional arrest dated August 20, 2015 and received by the Embassy (US) on September 1. Since it’s a provisional arrest, we have 60 days from his arrest to submit the full extradition request,” de Lima said in a text message.
Authorities earlier said Viane, who is a resident of Anchorage, Alaska, may have killed Mojica for telling his estranged wife, Liane, the whereabouts of the couple’s child whom Viane had brought to the Philippines last April because of a custody issue.
Her body was found in a ditch in San Felipe town in Zambales on July 25.
Police said her body had been burned, and aside from the gunshot wounds, she also had marks on her neck suggesting she was choked or strangled.
Also recovered from the ditch were three spent 9mm shells.
Viane’s co-accused, Nino Dela Cruz, was arrested on August 12 in Metro Manila and is now detained at the Zambales Provincial Jail.
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.