Task Force Manila Shield effective 6 pm Friday, says Pagdilao
Amid the swelling protests staged by Iglesia Ni Cristo members in different areas, Metro Manila police raised the alert status to full alert on Friday night.
Chief Superintendent Joel Pagdilao, National Capital Region Police Office director, said he had already ordered the activation of Task Force Manila Shield effective 6 p.m.
Pagdilao said the NCRPO will start deploying civil disturbance management at the People Power Monument in Quezon City.
As of posting, thousands of INC members continue to mass up in several parts of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue, particularly on Ortigas Avenue near the Edsa shrine and in Shaw Boulevard.
The INC leadership mobilized its members to hold a protest before the Department of Justice for Justice Secretary Leila de Lima’s interference in the internal affairs of the influential religious sect.
Up to 4,000 protesters have gathered in front of the DOJ building along Padre Faura Street in Ermita, Manila since Thursday afternoon.
Earlier Friday, INC members started arriving at Edsa corner Ortigas Avenue in trickles.
The Philippine National Police said, like in all mass actions, policemen will enforce maximum tolerance in dealing with protesters.
Sought for comment, Interior Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas II said: “I understand the NCRPO in handling it in the usual manner as other such mass actions. Maintaining peace and order, (enforcing) maximum tolerance and patience.” Julliane Love de Jesus, TVJ