Aquino set to accept Binay’s resignation from Cabinet
PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III is set to accept the irrevocable resignation of Vice President Jejomar Binay from his Cabinet, a Malacanang official said on Monday.
In a statement, Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said that Aquino received Binay’s resignation letter Monday afternoon.
The President then called Binay to confirm his resignation.
Coloma did not reveal the details of the conversation between Aquino and Binay.
“[Executive] Secretary [Paquito] Ochoa gave the letter to the President,” Coloma said, adding that Aquino then called up Binay to confirm the resignation.
Ochoa “will formalize acceptance of the vice president’s resignation,” he added.
Binay tendered his resignation on Monday from the Cabinet, quitting his posts as head of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC) and presidential adviser of OFW affairs.
The vice president said that his resignation is effective immediately.
Binay’s daughter, Makati Rep. Abigail Binay personally handed her father’s resignation letter to Ochoa and was received by Ochoa at around 3:55 p.m.
The vice president’s resignation from the Cabinet came a week after the President said that he would not endorse Binay’s candidacy in the 2016 presidential election.
Last year, Aquino said that Binay could freely quit the Cabinet if “he believes that the administration is not headed to the right direction.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.