outbrain
Close  

Marcos asks DOJ: What happened to case against 90 in Mamasapano carnage?

/ 08:44 PM June 18, 2015

MANILA, Philippines — Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said the quest for justice for the 44 slain Special Actions Force commandos should not be forgotten, amid the strides made by the Philippine government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in the peace process.

The SAF troopers were killed in a clash with members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, and other private armed groups in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, during a police operation to arrest terror suspects.

ADVERTISEMENT

Marcos said family members of the SAF troopers had been asking him about the progress in the case against their killers, and added that he himself would seek answers from the Department of Justice about the developments in the matter.

He pointed out that the DOJ earlier said that 90 persons would be charged. But apparently, nothing has come of this.

FEATURED STORIES

“I will ask the DOJ now, I will write a letter saying, ‘what happened to the investigation?” he said at the Senate weekly media forum.

“I won’t allow the SAF 44 to be forgotten,” he said.

He also said he learned that not all of the government’s promised benefits to the families of the commandos had been given to them.

The families did not ask for these benefits, he said. These were promised by the government, and it has failed to deliver, Marcos said.

But what the families want more than ever is justice, according to Marcos.

Marcos also bewailed the fact that former Philippine National Police chief and director general Alan Purisima has been allowed to remain in the force, even after being implicated in the Mamasapano carnage.

Purisima was one of the people involved when the operation was being planned, even when he was temporarily suspended as PNP chief.

ADVERTISEMENT

He returned to the PNP earlier this month after serving his six-month preventive suspension, which arose from a corruption complaint against him.

Malacañang should not coddle Purisima, said Marcos.

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Alan Purisima, armed groups, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, Basit Usman, covert operations, Crime, Department of Justice, Ferdinand Marcos Jr., Justice, law, law enforcement, Mamasapano carnage, Mamasapano massacre, Mamasapano mission, manhunt for terrorists, Moro Islamic Liberation Front, multiple murder, News, Philippine Congress, Philippine National Police, preliminary investigation, pursuit operations, SAF 44, Senate, Special Action Force, terror suspects, Terrorists, Zulkifli bin Hir
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.