Trillanes wants Manny Villar to run for president
SENATOR Antonio Trillanes IV wants former Senator Manny Villar, president of the Nacionalista Party, to run for president in 2016.
Villar ran but lost to President Benigno Aquino III in 2010.
“He’s not considering another 2016 run although I’m personally pushing for it,” Trillanes, an NP member, said in a text message on Tuesday.
Trillanes, who publicly declared his intention to run for vice president in the upcoming elections, issued the statement when asked if Villar made a categorical statement about his 2016 plans during the NP’s Manila-Japan cruise last month.
In an interview with reporters at the Senate, Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. hinted that Villar made known his plans during the cruise but declined to say it.
“Sya (Villar) na lang ang tanungin mo kung hindi si Senator Cynthia para mas maliwanag ang usapan,” Marcos said.
Asked if it was because Villar’s plan was not clear during the cruise, Marcos said: “Hindi, para sa inyo. Kami alam namin, nagsabi sya e but I don’t want be the one to say it.”
He said Villar’s wife, incumbent Senator Cynthia Villar, is the authorized person to answer the question.
Interviewed by reporters Monday, Mrs. Villar said the NP has not reached a consensus about the 2016 polls.
During the cruise though, Marcos said the NP president told his partymates not to commit yet to other groups or individuals.
“Ang sabi lang ni president Manny…hintayin muna natin ang mga development. Meron ding presidentiable ang NP…so bago tayo mag-commit sa iba tingnan muna natin kung ano ang gagawin ng mga member,” he said.
Marcos noted that two NP members — Senators Alan Peter Cayetano and Trillanes — have already declared their intentions to run for president and vice president, respectively.
Marcos himself was also being floated as possible contender for either president or vice president in 2016. AC