De Lima defends Aquino anew, says he is 'over and beyond' any chain of command | Inquirer News
Close  

De Lima defends Aquino anew, says he is ‘over and beyond’ any chain of command

/ 11:58 AM April 08, 2015
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima INQUIRER FILE  PHOTO/JOAN BONDOC

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO/JOAN BONDOC

Department of Justice Secretary Leila De Lima again cleared President Benigno Aquino III of liability for the botched operation in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, which killed at least 67 persons, including 44 elite cops of the Philippine National Police-Special Action Force (PNP-SAF).

Gabriela party-list Representative Emerciana De Jesus asked De Lima if Aquino could be held criminally liable for the operation, citing the findings of the Board of Inquiry and the pronouncement of former President Fidel V. Ramos that the President violated the chain of command.

ADVERTISEMENT

BACKSTORY: Ramos: Aquino liable if he violated chain of command in Mamasapano

“What can you say about claims that President Aquino broke chain of command?” De Jesus said.

FEATURED STORIES

De Lima reiterated her previous statements that Aquino could not be subjected to the chain of command doctrine. She also said that the concept was non-existent in a civilian agency such as the PNP.

“A President, as chief executive and commander-in-chief, is over and beyond any chain of command concept,” De Lima said during the continuation of the inquiry of the House of Representatives on the Mamasapano debacle on Wednesday.

“Any perceived accountability, liability of the President re chain of command concept cannot lie,” she added.

De Lima also said that Aquino already claimed responsibility for the bungled operation, as he said during his previous national speeches.

READ: Aquino claims responsibility for Mamasapano tragedy 

The Justice secretary also shot down notions that the US could be held liable due to its involvement in the operation.

She said that in the accordance with the Visiting Forces Agreement, the US had been cooperating with the Philippine government through information sharing and medical assistance.

ADVERTISEMENT

De Jesus said she raised involvement of the US in Operation Exodus as the Philippines might be dragged in a “proxy war” by the US.

Aquino has drawn flak for skirting responsibility for the Mamasapano clash while heaping all the blame on sacked-SAF commander Director Getulio Napeñas.

The President has not apologized for the incident and instead has asked for the public’s understanding.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: "Operation Exodus, Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III, chain of command, Emerciana de Jesus, Gabriela partylist, House probe, Leila de Lima, Maguindanao, Mamasapano, SAF, saf44
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.