Close  

Suspension order part of ‘telenovela’ for 2016 elections, says Binay lawyer

/ 04:39 PM March 12, 2015

ADVERTISEMENT

Video by Ryan Leagogo

MANILA, Philippines—Claro Certeza, lawyer of Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay, on Thursday said the preventive suspension order handed by the Ombudsman against Binay was the newest installment of a “telenovela” aimed at maligning the Binay family and quashing Vice President Jejomar Binay’s shot for the presidency in 2016.

FEATURED STORIES

Unti-unti ang alegasyon. Bakit? Para yang ‘telenovela’ kasi hindi puwede mangyari lahat in one sitting.”

Speaking to reporters, Certeza revealed that the timeline of the investigations conducted in relation to irregularities allegedly committed by the Makati mayor and his father, the Vice President, showed a “pattern of harassment.”

READ: Junjun Binay decries ‘special express suspension,’ vows to exhaust all legal remedies

Makikita niyo na unti-unti (ang paglabas ng mga alegasyon) pero sa dulo iisa lang ang pakay: Ang durugin ang pamilya Binay (You will see that the allegations were presented in piecemeal, which lead to the fall of the Binays),” the lawyer said. “And ito ang latest move diyan, ang pag-issue ng suspension against Mayor Binay (The latest move is the suspension of Mayor Binay).”

The timeline began when Renato Bondal, a political rival of the Vice President, filed a plunder case against the older Binay on July 22, 2014, for the allegedly overpriced Makati City Hall Building 2. Since then, 17 Senate hearings and a special audit by the Commission on Audit were conducted.

READ: Plunder complaint filed vs Binay, Makati officials

“The allegations are being hurled piece by piece so that the issues will be discussed. As long as the hearings continue, the Vice President and his family will be pinned to these allegations,” Certeza said in Filipino.

ADVERTISEMENT

The lawyer said that witnesses who defended the family, like Greenergy Holdings Inc. chief executive officer Antonio Tiu and himself, were now facing criminal charges because they were on the wrong side of the political fence.

He also decried that the suspension order was part of an “orchestrated persecution” against the Binays green-lighted by their political opponents.

Certeza said that their camp was confident that the Court of Appeals would grant a temporary restraining order on Binay’s suspension.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Claro Certeza, Jejomar Binay, Junjun Binay, Makati City Hall Building 2, Renato Bondal
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.