outbrain
Close  

Sandigan suspends DBM undersecretary, 9 others for pork graft

/ 03:16 AM March 11, 2015

MANILA, Philippines–The Sandiganbayan on Tuesday ordered the suspension for 90 days of Budget Undersecretary for Operations Mario Relampagos and nine other budget officials and state corporation executives who have been charged with multiple counts of graft in connection with the pork barrel scam.

The preventive suspension was mandatory for anyone charged with graft, said the antigraft court’s Third Division, which is also handling the plunder and graft cases against Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile, alleged scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles and their aides.

ADVERTISEMENT

Charged with Relampagos in the Third Division were Budget and Management Specialist Chief Rosario Nuñez and administrative assistants Lalaine Paule and Marilou Bare of the Department of Budget and Management (DBM); National Livelihood Development Corp. (NLDC) President Gondelina Amata, Directors Emmanuel Sevidal and Chita Jalandoni, and project development officers Sofia Cruz and Gregoria Buenaventura; and Technology Resource Center (TRC) Chief Accountant Marivic Jover.

They, however, have posted bail unlike the 91-year-old Enrile and the other lead accused who were denied bail since plunder is a nonbailable crime.

FEATURED STORIES

Relampagos and his coaccused in the DBM had opposed the prosecution’s move to have them suspended, arguing that the evidence against them did not indicate “the likelihood of eventual guilt or liability.”

The budget official also insisted that he could not influence or interfere with the investigation or the prosecution.

But the Sandiganbayan said that even the Supreme Court upheld the decision that the preventive suspension of public officials charged with violation of Republic Act No. 3019 or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act is mandatory.

The antigraft court added that it did not have the authority to decide whether a preventive suspension can prevent the accused from using his office to intimidate witnesses, or whether to shorten the suspension period.

“Once the information is found to be sufficient in form and substance, then the court must issue the order of suspension as a matter of course. There are no ifs and buts about it,” said the Sandiganbayan’s Third Division in a unanimous resolution penned by Presiding Justice Amparo Cabotaje-Tang.

“This is because a preventive suspension is not a penalty. It is not imposed as a result of judicial proceedings,” it said.

The suspension order was also signed by Associate Justices Samuel Martires and Alex Quiroz.

ADVERTISEMENT

If eventually acquitted, however, those suspended will be paid the salaries and benefits they lost during their absence from work.

Relampagos and the DBM staff members were implicated by Napoles’ aide-turned-whistle-blower Benhur Luy.

Luy said Nuñez, Bare and Paule were his contacts in the DBM while Relampagos signed the budget release orders that supposedly fast-tracked the release of the lawmakers’ Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) to government-owned agencies, which, in turn, diverted the funds to bogus nongovernment organizations purportedly set up by Napoles.

Enrile and Senators Bong Revilla and Jinggoy Estrada, as well as their legislative aides, Napoles and her aides, were accused of pocketing hundreds of millions of pesos in kickbacks through ghost projects funded by the PDAF.

During their arraignment in November last year, Relampagos and the other DBM officials refused to enter a plea so the court entered a not guilty plea for them.

The other suspended officials pleaded not guilty during their arraignment in September.

In another order, the Third Division directed Makati Medical Center to submit Enrile’s latest medical bulletin within five days. On March 6, the senator was transferred from Philippine National Police General Hospital to Makati Medical Center due to pneumonia.

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: court, DBM, Department of Budget and Management, Government Officials, Graft and Corruption, Mario Relampagos, pork barrel scam, Sandiganbayan, suspension
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.