2 US tourists face charges for damaging Coliseum
ROME, Italy — Two American tourists face charges for carving their names into the Coliseum, the latest act of vandalism sustained by the ancient monument at the hands of tourists, police said Monday.
The tourists from California, aged 21 and 25, were cited Saturday for carving their first names eight centimeters (three inches) high into an upper level of the Coliseum, said Carabinieri Capt. Lorenzo Iacobone.
The two were freed on their own recognizance but will face charges for aggravated damage to a monument. Their names or hometowns were not released by police.
Iacobone said the young women apologized for the vandalism, but he said such acts “are extremely serious. No one considers the damage they are creating.”
Carved in stone
“They have carved their names into ancient stone. It is not like writing with a pen, and then afterward it can be cleaned up,” he said.
A Russian tourist who carved his initials into the Coliseum in November was handed a four-month suspended sentence and a fine of 20,000 euros ($21,270) after opting for a speedy trial. It was the fifth such act of vandalism by tourists last year, including a Canadian tourist who tried to steal a piece of stone from the Coliseum hidden in his backpack.
Union leaders have complained about the lack of personnel to properly monitor Rome’s archaeological treasures — with increasing numbers of visitors seeking to leave their trace on antiquity, causing irreparable damage.
With thousands of tourists visiting the monument each day and many hidden corners, Iacobone said it was impossible to monitor everyone’s actions.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.