Aquino accepts Purisima resignation – sources
MANILA, Philippines – Various Inquirer sources, including a Palace official, confirmed on Thursday that President Benigno Aquino III accepted the resignation of Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Alan Purisima.
The official said the President would announce his decision, through a televised speech, on Friday evening.
Initial reports of the beleaguered PNP chief’s resignation was denied by both Malacañang and Purisima’s camp.
However, various sources from the Executive branch said otherwise although they refused to be named.
The news came amid calls that Aquino and Purisima be held accountable for the so-called “misencounter” in Mamasapano town, Maguindanao. While the United States’ Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) confirmed that government officials were able to kill international terrorist Zulkifli bin Hir, alias Marwan, it also resulted in the death of 44 PNP-Special Action Force (SAF) members.
Despite being suspended, Purisima allegedly directed the operation with the backing of the President.
The Office of the Ombudsman last year ordered the suspension of Purisima for his involvement in a supposed anomalous contract under the PNP. It was about that time that he drew flak for allegedly owning a 10-hectare property in Batangas. JN, KS
Originally posted 5:34 p.m.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.