Government gathering bodies of policemen slain in Maguindanao | Inquirer News
Close  

Government gathering bodies of policemen slain in Maguindanao

/ 11:46 AM January 26, 2015

maguindanao-mapCOTABATO CITY, Philippines – Police and military authorities have begun retrieving the bodies of about 30 members of the Philippine National Police Special Action Force (SAF) slain in a clash with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) in Maguindanao.

Retrieval operations went on as the government moved to prevent the violence from spreading.

ADVERTISEMENT

In Manila, Defense Secreatary Voltaire Gazmin said, “We will do what we can to prevent this from happening (again).”

Gazmin said he would go to Cotabato with Armed Forces chief Gen. Gregorio Catapang Jr, Interior Secretary Mar Roxas, Philippine National Police officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina “to talk and assess these things so it will not spread.”

FEATURED STORIES

Senior Supt. Marcelo Pintac, PNP-ARMM chief of staff, said joint police, Army and MILF checkpoints were set up around a rice field in the village of Tukanalipao, Mamasapano town in where fierce fighting erupted Sunday morning.

The SAF members were to serve a warrant of arrest against Jemaah Islamiyah members Basit Usman and Zulkigli Bin Hir alias “Marwan” when they clashed with Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) members.

Pintac said the bodies of five policemen had been retrieved as of Monday morning.

“Our retrieval operation was still on going, our initial information was 15 policemen were confirmed dead,” Pintac told a local radio station.

Senior Supt. Noel Armilla, police regional director in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), said scores were also killed on the side of the MILF and outlawed Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF).

Armilla could not say exactly how many SAF were killed but initial information he received said the clash left at least 50 persons, including policemen, BIFF and MILF, dead.

Pintac also said it was a purely SAF law enforcement action and coordination was only made with the PNP-ARMM an hour before the operation or about 4:30 a.m. Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Capt. Joanne Petinglay, 6th Infantry Division spokesperson, said police and military officials could not ascertain the exact number of the dead.

“We have no data as to the total number of fatalities. We continue to provide assistance to the retrieval operation,” she told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Von Al Haq, MILF military chief, said his group suffered five dead and “about six BIFF” were killed. Quoting reports from the MILF field officials, Al Haq said about 30 policemen were slain.

“The ceasefire committee of the government and MILF are now helping retrieve the slain policemen,” he said, adding that the MILF was dragged in the police action when they entered an MILF camp in Barangay Inug-og, Mamasapano, without coordinating with the ceasefire committee.

Police sources said about six of the slain policemen were officials of different ranks. Frances Mangosing 

RELATED STORIES

Hearings on the Bangsamoro law halted after MILF killing of 30 cops

30 elite cops killed in clash with MILF

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, Basit Usman, BIFF, body retrieval, bomb makers, Checkpoint, Jemaah Islamiyah, Joanne Petinglay, law enforcement, Marcelo Pintac, MILF, Moro Islamic Liberation Front, News, Noel Armilla, Philippine Army, Philippine National Police, PNP ARMM, PNP Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, policemen killed in action, policemen killed in combat, policemen killed on duty, Regions, serving of an arrest warrant, Special Action Force, suspected terrorists, terror suspects, Von Al Haq, warrant of arrest, Zulkigli Bin Hir
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.