DOH: Firecracker blast injuries rocket to 593 | Inquirer News
Close  

DOH: Firecracker blast injuries rocket to 593

/ 05:57 PM January 02, 2015

Firework-related-injuries-update2MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Health on Friday revealed that the number of fireworks-related injuries has surged to 593, according to its latest data.

Of the 593 cases, 580 have been recorded from December 31 to January 2, resulted from “direct” firecracker injuries, three were from fireworks ingestion, and 10 cases were due to stray bullet injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT

The said figure is so far 393 cases lower than last year’s figure which hit 986.

Of the 593 cases, 465 cases were of those who sustained injuries which did not require amputations, 25 blast cases resulted in amputations while 103 persons suffered from eye injuries.

FEATURED STORIES

The Filipino man injured from firecrackers arrives at the East Avenue Medical Center in suburban Quezon city, north of Manila, Philippines Thursday, Jan. 1, 2015. Despite a ban by authorities on certain firecrackers due to injuries and death, many Filipinos still welcome the New Year with fireworks in the belief that it will drive away evil spirits and bring in good luck. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

The Filipino man injured from firecrackers arrives at the East Avenue Medical Center in suburban Quezon city, north of Manila, Philippines Thursday, Jan. 1, 2015. Despite a ban by authorities on certain firecrackers due to injuries and death, many Filipinos still welcome the New Year with fireworks in the belief that it will drive away evil spirits and bring in good luck. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

Piccolo remains the leading cause of firecracker injuries, with 223 cases attributed to the said prohibited firecracker.

2 ‘serious’ stray bullet victims

Out of the 10 stray bullet injuries recorded, two were considered by the DOH as “serious”: the cases of 13-year-old Maybelle “Mikmik” Juanitas who was hit by a bullet when she was walking to her aunt’s home at Tala, Caloocan City and a three-year-old male who was hit in the left eye while sleeping in their Cotabato City home.

Juanitas’ condition has been ruled as “stable” after the bullet slug and blood clot on her head were removed on Thursday. She was placed under observation for three days.

On the other hand, the three-year-old boy underwent an eye surgery and was declared “stable” as well.

The DOH classifies fireworks-related injuries as “direct firecracker injuries”, stray bullet injuries and firework ingestion cases.

According to National Epidemiological Center director Dr. Eric Tayag, the fireworks-related injury registry of the health department will continue collating data until January 5 at 6 a.m.

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED STORIES

13-year-old girl critical after being hit by stray bullet

DOH posts lower firecracker injuries

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Department of Health, Eric Tayag, Firecracker, fireworks, Fireworks-related injuries, Health, Injuries, New Year, new year revelry, stray bullets
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.