DOH posts lower firecracker injuries | Inquirer News
Close  

DOH posts lower firecracker injuries

/ 12:42 PM January 01, 2015
firecrackers

Firecrackers in the streets. MARK ALVIC ESPLANA/Inquirer Southern Luzon FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines-The Department of Health on Thursday revealed that lower number of fireworks related injuries have been posted as Filipinos celebrate the New Year revelries.

However, the number of amputations increased by 75 percent  or 14 persons compared to only eight last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

The youngest victim to be amputated was a five-year old boy.

At a press conference, the DOH said a total of 351 fireworks related injuries have been recorded between December 21 to January 1, 2015, compared to the 578 cases posted last year during the same period.

FEATURED STORIES

Of the 351 cases, 346 was due to direct fireworks injuries, three persons have been hit by stray bullets and two persons ingested fireworks.

No death has been reported.

“Mas maraming Pilipino ang nakonsensya ngayon at sila ay nagdesisyon pabor sa kanilang kaligtasan (More Filipinos have obeyed their conscience and have decided in favor of their safety)” acting health secretary Janette Garin said at a press conference.

The National Capital Region posted the highest number of firecracker related injuries nationwide with 168 cases. 52 of the said cases transpired in the city of Manila.

Garin said prohibited firecracker “piccolo” remains the lead cause of fireworks related injuries nationwide, injuring 166 persons.

Other firecrackers which brought injuries include kwitis, luces, and five star.

Garin attributed the high number of injuries caused by piccolo for two reasons: more kids use the said prohibited firecracker and its relatively cheap price allow children to share it with their friends.

“They are sharing danger,” Garin added.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: death, Department of Health, DoH, fireworks, Injuries, New Year, Piccolo
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.