Mom, daughter die, 3 others hurt as fire razes QC residential area
MANILA, Philippines—A 72-year-old mother and her 43-year-old daughter died in a fire that burned down at least 25 houses and displaced around 50 families in a Quezon City shanty community on Tuesday.
Authorities found the charred bodies of Cresencia Trinidad and her daughter Evangeline, trapped on the second floor of their three-story house at Barangay (village) Valencia in New Manila.
Fire Marshal Superintendent Jesus Fernandez said in a phone interview with INQUIRER.net that the fatalities were found more than an hour after the fire was declared out at 12:50 p.m.
Fernandez said two female residents and a fire volunteer suffered minor injuries.
They suffered minor cuts and bruises and were given immediate treatment in the area by QC rescue and medical personnel.
Fernandez said the fire was caused by a faulty electrical wiring in one of the houses in the said residential area.
The house was owned by a certain Melissa Ramos who was unhurt in the incident.
“Nagkaroon ng short circuit kasi maraming wirings sa area. Marami kasing gumagamit ng jumper (illegal cable connections),” Fernandez said.
(There had been a short circuit because of the various wirings in the area. Many residents there use illegal cable connections.)
Fernandez said firefighters had a hard time putting out the fire as the houses were made of light materials.
The fire, which reached fourth alarm, started at 11:08 a.m. and was declared out at 12:50 p.m.
The QC fire department estimated the properties damaged in the fire to be worth P500,000.
Originally posted at 12:30 pm | Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.