Binay urged anew by Senate panel to attend hearing
MANILA, Philippines — The Senate blue ribbon subcommittee reiterated on Tuesday its invitation to Vice President Jejomar Binay to face its hearing next week and shed light on the parking building controversy.
In a letter dated Tuesday, October 21, 2014, Senator Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III, chairman of the subcommittee, reiterated the panel’s request to the Vice President to attend its hearing at 9 a.m. on Thursday, October 30, “to inform the committee about what you know regarding matters under inquiry in view of the testimonies given by the resource persons before the committee.”
It was the second time that the subcommittee invited Binay to face its investigation into the allegedly anomalous construction of the Makati carpark building, which started when he was still the city mayor.
The panel first requested the Vice President to attend its hearing last month but he did not accept the invitation.
Even before the second letter was sent to him, the Vice President has already repeatedly said that he would not face his probers, who he said were using the Senate probe to stop his presidential bid in 2016.
Binay has been accused, among others, of allegedly receiving kickbacks from the construction of the building and other projects in the city as well as using dummies to allegedly hide his unexplained wealth.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.