Aquino remains open to term extension: I’ll listen to my ‘bosses’ | Inquirer News
Close  

Aquino remains open to term extension: I’ll listen to my ‘bosses’

/ 11:19 AM August 28, 2014
Aquino-0826

President Benigno Aquino III. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO / GRIG C. MONTEGRANDE

MANILA, Philippines – President Benigno Aquino III on Thursday vacillated on the issue of presidential term extension, saying the people should settle the issue while making known his openness to extending his six-year term, which ends in 2016.

In an interview with Bombo Radyo, Aquino said, “Sinabi ko naman noong una akong tumakbo hindi ako masokista. Pero at the same time, sabi ko nga makikinig ako sa anumang utos ng mga boss natin (When I first ran for President I said, I am no masochist. But at the same time, as I said, I will listen to whatever command my bosses give).” He calls the Filipino people his bosses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Aquino said people had been approaching him expressing their wish that he continue serving the country beyond 2016.

“Isa pa hong termino (One more term)!” one supporter shouted when he inaugurated a road network in Cagayan. However, he said it was a “good thing” that the other people did not join in on the “spontaneous” call.

FEATURED STORIES

Aquino said a woman also approached him when he attended a wake. The woman said, “Huwag po ninyong iiwan iyong Pilipinas (Don’t leave the Philippines).”

“Kailangan pa namin ho kayo. Marami pa hong kailangang gawin. Dapat ituloy na ho ninyo (We still need you. There are still a lot of things to do. You should continue),” she added.

Aquino said he found it difficult to answer her.

“So pwede ko bang sabihin naman sa kanilang…Meron tayong hangganan. Ang trabaho natin hanapin iyong

kapalit na magpapatuloy,” he said.

(So can I tell them…We have a limit. Our work is to find someone who will continue our reforms.

Aquino said the problem was, they would answer, “Paano ho ninyo magagarantiyahan na itutuloy nga iyong ginawa ninyo?’

ADVERTISEMENT

(How can you guarantee that they will continue what you had done.)

“Kailangang masagot ’yan (That needs to be answered),” Aquino said, referring to the issue on how the reforms that his administration had instituted could be continued after he steps down.

He admitted that he has been consulting with various sectors to address the issue.

Despite his earlier pronouncements, Aquino said he was still looking forward to 2016.

“One year and ten months from now, palagay ko kasama ko si (Communications Group) Usec. (Rey) Marfil at saka si Asec. (Jun) Delantar sa July 1, the day after bumaba tayo sa puwesto, at kakain kami ng masarap talaga tapos may streamer na nakalagay sa likod namin: kalayaan,” he said jokingly.

(One year and ten months from now, I think I will be with Usec. Marfil and Asec. Delantar on July 1, the day after I step down from office, and we will eat delicious food while there’s a streamer posted behind us with the word: freedom.)

Originally posted: 8:12 am | Thursday, August 28th, 2014

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Aquino, Benigno Aquino III, Bombo Radyo interview, Politics, presidential term, term extension
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.