Palace on MRT 3 accident: We’ll get to the bottom of it
Video by INQUIRER.net’s Ryan Leagogo
MANILA, Philippines – We’ll get to the bottom of it.
Malacañang made that pledge Wednesday after an accident involving a Metro Rail Transit 3 (MRT) train that left several passengers injured.
“Kailangang gawin ang nararapat para tiyakin ang kaligtasan ng mga pasahero at mga mamamayan, kasama na ang pagtunton sa dahilan kung bakit naganap ang paglampas ng bagon sa riles,” Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said in a statement.
(We will do what is necessary to ensure the safety of the passengers and the public, including finding why the MRT coach got derailed.)
Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya was already headed to the site of the accident, which happened at the Edsa-Taft station of the MRT.
“The derailed train initially stalled between the Magallanes and Taft stations and, following railway SOPs, had to be pushed by the next oncoming train. The 2 trains were coupled or linked together, but along the way, the coupling disconnected. This caused the derailed train to go past the Taft platform,” Lacierda explained.He said Abaya had already ordered that all injured passengers be immediately tended to as he inspected the site to get the full report on the accident.
The MRT management has already apologized for what happened, saying it will extend all necessary assistance to the victims.
On the other hand, its trains have resumed operation.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.