More than 140 bodies pulled from Gaza rubble in truce – medics
GAZA CITY – The bodies of at least 147 Palestinians were recovered from the rubble across the Gaza Strip during a 12-hour humanitarian truce on Saturday, medics said.
Emergency services spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said the bodies had been brought to hospitals in north, central and southern Gaza, as well as Gaza City.
The grim discoveries raised the toll in Gaza on the 19th day of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Hamas group to more than 1,000, Qudra said.
In northern Gaza, particularly the area of Beit Hanun, medics recovered at least 32 bodies, Qudra said early on Saturday, along with at least 13 people in the central areas of Bureij, Deir al-Balah and Nusseirat.
Gaza City’s Shifa hospital received 29 bodies from the eastern neighborhoods of Shejaiya, Zaitun and Tuffah, and 11 others were taken to hospitals from the southern areas of Khan Yunis and Rafah, Qudra added.
He later announced more dead from all over the Strip identified in hospitals in the north and south.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.