Kidnappers of 2 Chinese in Basilan want P30M in ransom
ISABELA CITY, Philippines – Suspected Abu Sayyaf bandits have demanded P30 million for the release of the two Chinese nationals they abducted in this city last week.
Senior Supt. Albert Larubis, city police chief, said on Monday that the kidnappers have contacted a member of the family of victim, 45-year-old Dina Lim.
Lim was snatched along with her daughter, Yahong Lim Tan, 19, on May 22.
They were manning the family-owned videoke bar when snatched at gunpoint by Abu Sayyaf gunmen.
Lim remains a Chinese citizen although she has been living with a local man for 10 years now. Her daughter has also kept her Chinese citizenship.
“Dina managed to call her son, Sean Lim, and informed him that the kidnappers wanted P30 million. The call was made Sunday,” Larubis said.
He said the victim’s son has confirmed that the voice was that of his mother.
Larubis said the police suspected that the Abu Sayyaf kidnapped the Lims but have not identified the abductors, as of Monday.
Just last week, he said the kidnappers might have been led by Purudji Indama.
Tahira Ismael, Basilan provincial administrator, said officials wanted the suspects arrested and prosecuted.
He said kidnapping has put Basilan in a bad light and that officials were one in the goal of ridding the island-province of the Abu Sayyaf.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.