Tuesday, October 23, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Army soldier burned in Fort Bonifacio blast dies

By: - Reporter / @NikkoDizonINQ
/ 06:54 AM May 10, 2014

Smoke rises from the remains of a Philippine army munitions depot in Taguig City on May 7, after more than 30 people were injured when fire and a series of explosions struck the depot near the country’s financial district, officials and witnesses said. AFP FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—An army soldier who sustained major burns after a fire at the Army Explosives and Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Battalion headquarters set off a series of explosions succumbed to his injuries Friday morning, the military said.

Army Corporal Bernabe Mota, 30, died at around 10 a.m. at the Armed Forces of the Philippines Medical Center (AFPMC), said Army spokesperson Lt. Col. Noel Detoyato. Mota sustained burns in 80 percent of his body.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mota, a native of Pili, Camarines Sur, was assigned at the EOD Battalion of the Army Support Command (ASCOM). He left behind a wife and a seven-year-old daughter.

To be transferred

FEATURED STORIES

According to Detoyato, Mota along with 1st Lt. Dinar Alosada and another soldier were scheduled to be transferred yesterday morning to the burn unit of the East Avenue Medical Center.

At press time, Detoyato said he had not received information if the transfer of Alosada and the other soldier pushed through.

President Aquino, as commander-in-chief, instructed the military leadership to help all the blast victims “at all cost,” a statement from the Defense Department said.

Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Army Chief Lt. Gen. Hernando Iriberri, and Health Secretary Enrique Ona visited the soldiers confined at the AFPMC on Thursday.

Iriberri also visited other blast victims at the Army General Hospital before proceeding to the ASCOM to inspect the site.

Records of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) showed that Alosada and MSgt. Ferdinand Rafal suffered as much as 80 percent burns in their bodies.

Mota and another soldier, Sgt. Rommel Septino, were reported to the BFP as having sustained second-degree burns.

ADVERTISEMENT

2nd-degree burns

The four Army personnel were among the 25 soldiers and firemen who were injured from the huge explosion that ripped through the EOD Battalion headquarters as fire razed the building.

The impact of the explosion was so strong that debris from the building smashed the windshield of a fire truck and deformed the vehicle’s right side. Debris also rained on a football field some 200 meters away from the blast site.

Detoyato said the military would shoulder all the expenses incurred from Mota’s confinement, as well as his wake and burial.

Detoyato said Iriberri had already formed a Board of Inquiry (BOI) to study the results of the administrative investigation being conducted by the ASCOM Inspector General.

Iriberri appointed Brig. Gen. Cesar Sedillo as head of the BOI.

Detoyato said the arson and post blast investigation results would also be submitted to the BOI.

 

Accountabilities

“The results of all these investigations would help the BOI determine if there are accountabilities to the incident,” Detoyato told the Inquirer by phone.

Detoyato also said that plans had been underway to transfer the Army EOD Battalion headquarters to Camp Aquino in Tarlac as the land it is occupying is already owned by the Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA).

The military, however, was still waiting for the BCDA to complete the replication of the battalion headquarters building as part of the transfer agreement, he explained.

RELATED STORIES

 

List of injured at Fort Bonifacio blast

Army still waiting for investigation results of Fort Bonifacio blast

Army to coordinate with BFP in probe into Fort Bonifacio fire, blast

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: AFPMC, Armed Forces of the Philippines Medical Center, Army Explosives and Ordnance Disposal Battalion, Bases Conversion and Development Authority, BCDA, blast, Camarines Sur, Camp Aquino, East Avenue Medical Center, Fire, Fort Bonifacio, Lt. Col. Noel Detoyato, Voltaire Gazmin
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

7 new national artists to be proclaimed Wednesday

October 24, 2018 07:22 AM

newsinfo

DOTr scouting for new spokesperson for LTFRB

October 24, 2018 07:21 AM

newsinfo

Bomb found at NY home of billionaire Soros

October 24, 2018 06:56 AM

technology

Facebook simplifies Messenger app

October 24, 2018 06:49 AM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.