Drilon denies involvement in pork scam | Inquirer News
Close  

Drilon denies involvement in pork scam

By: - Reporter / @MAgerINQ
/ 04:49 PM April 24, 2014

Janet Lim-Napoles and Senate President Franklin Drilon. INQUIRER FILE PHOTOS

MANILA, Philippines – Senate President Franklin Drilon dismissed   anew talks of his alleged involvement in the “pork barrel” scam, saying his name   would not appear in any ‘pork” list of alleged scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles.

Drilon said there had been text messages circulating that he was among the senators that Napoles had allegedly implicated in the pork scam but he strongly denied it.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I think again these are the black propaganda operators who were doing the same thing last year,”   he said during a press conference in the Senate on Thursday.

“They have been tapped to muddle the issue, by spreading lies and baseless accusations. We must not allow mudslinging and  smear campaign dahil lalo lamang nagugulo ang proseso sa paghahanap ng katotohanan. These are the kinds of propaganda that will only ruin our quest to find out the truth,”  he said.

FEATURED STORIES

The Senate leader reiterated  that none of  his pork barrel funds went to  alleged bogus non-government organizations (NGOs)  linked  to Napoles.

“In so far as I’m concerned, my name is not and  will never be in in any list because  I have not assigned a single peso of my PDAF to any NGO of Mrs. Jane Napoles,”  Drilon said. PDAF is Priority Development Assistance  Fund also known as  “pork barrel” funds.

He said the only NGO that he has been working with  for the past several years is the Federation of Filipino Chinese Chambers of Commerce.

“I can account for every  peso of my pork barrel. That’s why I’m very confident  and I’m very strong in my statement that I’m not in any list and  I have not  utilized to the NGOs which are charged to be fake . I can account for every single peso  of the funds that were  allocated to me under  the budget,” said  the Senate leader.

In fact, Drilon was ready to  support  calls by some of his colleagues to make the alleged “pork” list public but only if such list  was supported by “credible and  “documentary” evidence.

“If the listahan (list) is supported and substantiated by credible and documentary evidence, please go ahead,”  he said when asked about the list  that former senator and now rehabilitation czar Panfilo Lacson disclosed to the media.

“Pero kung listahan lang naman, siguro naman pag-ingatan ang institution ng Senado  (But if it’s only a list,   maybe  we should protect the institution of the Senate),”   Drilon added.

ADVERTISEMENT

He reiterated that the charges against those allegedly involved  in the scam  must also  be supported by “compelling and undeniable documentary evidence.”

“Because under the rules of court and under our rules of evidence, where the subject of the inquiry is the content of the document, the best evident is the document. No other evidence is better than the document, because documents do not lie,” Drilon pointed out.

RELATED STORIES

Name names, Lacson dared

Poe, Cayetano to colleagues: Shun formalities, let’s hear Napoles’ tell-all ASAP

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Janet Napoles, Nation, News, pork barrel scam Franklin Drilon
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.