outbrain
Close  

13 cops in Atimonan shooting ordered dismissed

/ 04:38 PM April 14, 2014

A member of the National Bureau of Investigation forensic team examines marks left by a hail of bullets that hit this SUV and another vehicle, and killed all 13 onboard, including police officers and soldiers. Most of the bullets were believed to have been fired by a police-military team stationed at a checkpoint in Atimonan, Quezon. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines – Thirteen policemen, including Police Superintendent Hansel Marantan, were ordered dismissed by the Philippine National Police in connection with the Atimonan massacre in January last year.

A Summary of Decision released by the PNP Public Information Office on Monday said the following police personnel were found guilty of “serious irregularity in the performance of duty:”

ADVERTISEMENT

1. Police Superintendent Hansel Marantan

2. Police Superintendent Ramon Balauag

FEATURED STORIES

3. Police Senior Inspector John Paulo Carracedo

4. Police Chief Inspector Grant Gollod

5. Police Senior Inspector Timoteo Orig

6. Senior Police Officer 3 Joselito de Guzman

7. SPO1 Claro Cataquiz

8. SPO1 Arturo Sarmiento

9. Police Officer 3 Eduardo Oronan

ADVERTISEMENT

10. PO2 Nelson Indal

11. P02 Al Bhazar Jailani

12 PO1 Wryan Sardea

13. PO1 Rodel Talento.

Five others were ordered one rank demotion, namely:

1. Police Inspector Ferdinand Aguilar

2. Inspector Evaristo San Juan

3. PO3 Benedict Dimayuga

4. PO2 Ronnie Serdena

5. PO2 Esperidion Corpuz Jr.

Suspended for six months are PO1 Allen Ayobo and PO1 Bernie de Leon. They cannot be demoted because of their PO1 rank.

The cases against presidential appointees Chief Superintendent James Andres Melad and Chief Superintendent Valeriano Templo de Leon were forwarded to National Police Commission.

Two administrative cases are still undergoing hearing proceedings — Admin Case No. 13-077 for Grave Misconduct (Murder) against Marantan and Admin Case No. 13-080 Grave Misconduct (Violation of PD 1829) against Carracedo.

Twelve people, including suspected drug lord Vic Siman, were killed in what the respondents called a legitimate operation but was declared a rubout by the National Bureau of Investigation.

“The acts of the respondents are violative of the PNP Manual on Police Operational Procedures constituting Serious Irregularity in the Performance of Duty,” the Internal Affairs Service said.

The PNP said the 13 police officers were dismissed after it was found out that the checkpoints in Atimonan were set up as “individual checkpoints separate and distinct from each other and not as mere layers of a single check-point.”

The 300-500 meter distance between the checkpoints were deemed “unusual” especially as the cops manning the checkpoints could hardly see each other, the decision read.

The Department of Justice has slapped multiple murder charges against the 13 dismissed cops over their alleged role in the shootout.

RELATED STORIES

Atimonan: Still no justice after a year

Marantan, 12 others slapped with multiple murder raps over Quezon ‘rubout’

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Atimonan shootout, Nation, News
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.