MNLF reorganized with Alonto as new chair; Misuari out
DAVAO CITY, Philippines – The pioneers of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF), spearheaded by MNLF vice chair Abul Khayr Alonto, have decided to re-organize the group, minus founding chairman Nur Misuari – whom they have labeled as a leader who has veered away from the Bangsamoro dream.
A one-page declaration of unity was signed last March 3, installing Alonto as the new MNLF chair. It will be publicly issued on Tuesday, during the commemoration of the Jabidah massacre in Corregidor, the so-called members of the Freedom Fighters 90 and the Freedom Fighters 300, the first two batches of what would comprise the MNLF in the 1970s, according to the new leaders of the MNLF
“Whereas, we are aware of the unfortunate blunders of Mr. Nur Misuari that hauled down the MNLF into an abyss of leadership crisis and its lamentable fragmentation as well as the exodus of able and dedicated Mujahideen (freedom fighters), either into the Philippine Government Bureaucracy, or to private lives of seemingly but definitely unwanted complacency,” the resolution reads.
A copy of the resolution was emailed to the Philippine Daily Inquirer.
In re-organizing the MNLF with Alonto in its helm, the pioneers of the erstwhile rebel group said that “Misuari veered away from the very principle that the group has sworn their lives for, when, among others, he publicly proclaimed Sulu, nearby provinces and the island of Palawan independent from the Philippine Republic with the inclusion of Sabah, Malaysia.”
They also criticized Misuari for allegedly participating in the “March 2013 Lahad Dato Stand Off” and “the September 2013 Zamboanga City Siege.”
These two events, they said, “caused the loss of hundreds of lives and destruction of properties.”
Alonto’s group, which also included Hadji Hassan Cana and Salli Wali, Al Hussein Caluang and Hadji Mohammad Waqas of the FF90, said the reorganization had the blessing of the 57-member Organization of Islamic Cooperation.
“…we were notified that the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) have (sic) officially criticized the “wrong move” of Misuari in the “Zamboanga City Siege,” that led to their adoption of a resolution saying that “the loss of innocent lives and properties during the MNLF Attack, was deplorable” and that they reiterated their earlier advise for the MNLF to reorganize and replace Mr. Nur Misuari.”
They said Misuari’s recent act was a deviation from the peace agreement the MNLF had forged with the government in 1996.
Misuari had been charged with rebellion due to the siege of Zamboanga.
The charges against him, the MNLF pioneers said, rendered him ineffective as MNLF leader and that by virtue of succession, Alonto should be installed as new chairman.
Alonto’s group also reiterated their support to the Philippine government’s peace agreement with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front.
“We hereby call on all Moro Malay Muslims in the Philippines and all those concerned within and outside the would-be Bangsamoro Territory, to please declare unity with the MILF,” the group said.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.