DPWH: No more bunkhouses; victims to get housing assistance | Inquirer News

DPWH: No more bunkhouses; victims to get housing assistance

Bunkhouses. FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Instead of building more bunkhouses for the survivors of Super Typhoon “Yolanda” in Eastern Visayas, the Department of Public Works and Highways will provide them with construction materials under its Permanent Shelter Program for typhoon-ravaged places.

This was announced on Tuesday by Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, who said families whose homes were destroyed would get P30,000 worth of building materials while those whose home were damaged would get up to P10,000 worth of materials.

ADVERTISEMENT

Singson said in a radio interview that priority would be given to families living in coastal areas of Leyte and Eastern Samar provinces because “they will be resettled in areas which are much safer than the coastal communities where they used to live.”

“It would be good if a cash-for-work component is included in the reconstruction of typhoon-damaged homes,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

He welcomed the “participation of donors who are willing to provide financial assistance” under the project.

Meanwhile, Singson disclosed that the DPWH has a “new design” for disaster-resilient school buildings which would be presented to the Department of Education shortly.

“As soon as we get the DepEd approval, we will start working on the contracts for the reconstruction of schools that were totally damaged by the typhoon,” he said, adding the reconstruction of damaged bridges in Eastern Visayas will start shortly following the arrival of materials needed for the project.

In a related development, Rolando Asis, director of the DPWH office in Eastern Visayas, reported that 30 more bunkhouses were completed last week by private contractors, bringing to 165 the total number of temporary shelters put up for typhoon survivors.

“Work on the remaining 57 temporary shelters is ongoing. These bunkhouses are actually substantially completed,” he told the Inquirer.

Earlier, he expressed confidence the construction of the remaining bunkhouses would be finished by the end of January. The government had planned to put up 222 bunkhouses in Leyte and Eastern Samar.

According to Asis, construction of the bunkhouses had been hampered by continuous heavy rain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Only 122 temporary shelters were put up before the Christmas break. Two of them, both in Barangay (village) Candahug in Palo, were turned over to typhoon victims by President Benigno Aquino during his visit to the area on December 22.

As of January 27, only 58 of the 165 completed bunkhouses have been occupied. The Department of Social Services and Development is tasked to identify their recipients.

In Tacloban City alone, there are a little over 1,000 families who are still living in different tent cities and evacuation centers, according to the DPWH.

RELATED STORIES

Temporary shelters not overpriced, says Lacson

Local politics still a problem in rehab efforts, says Lacson

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), Disasters, Eastern Visayas, Government, Permanent Shelter Program, Rogelio Singson, Super Typhoon Yolanda
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.