DOH: 77 firework-related injuries ahead of New Year revelry
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) has recorded 77 cases of firework-related injuries ahead of the expected New Year revelry on December 31.
The DOH, however said, many remain unreported.
Health Secretary Enrique Ona said the figure was from December 21to 26 based on reports reaching DOH accredited hospitals.
Ona added that the figure was lower compared to the same period in 2012 which is 116.
The health chief lamented the continuous proliferation of illegal firecrackers in the market.
He said it would be crucial for parents to always be on lookout for their children.
He also urged the public to always report to the police if they know anyone selling illegal firecrackers like the Piccolo.
DOH also reported that four cases of stray bullet injuries have been reported.
No deaths have been reported so far.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.