Close  

Some journalists had it coming, probers say

/ 04:04 AM December 14, 2013

Radio journalist Rogelio Butalid lies dead outside the Radyo Natin station in Tagum City after being shot by a lone gunman on Wednesday. Butalid (inset) was also a village councilor. FRINSTON LIM/INQUIRER MINDANAO

Government investigators on Friday said the recent killings of journalists in Mindanao may have something to do with the way they practiced journalism.

The investigators, who agreed to talk to Inquirer on the condition they would not be named, gave one example: “(He) berated his targets like they were the worst animal on Earth and cocked his gun on the air, challenging his targets to a gunfight.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The investigators did not name the broadcaster they referred to but those familiar with the airwaves in Mindanao said the style fits that of Joas Dignos, who was recently ambused in Valencia City, Bukidnon.

Others killed in the past two weeks include Michael Milo in Tandag City, Surigao del Sur, and Rogelio Butalid in Tagum City, Davao del Norte.

FEATURED STORIES

The investigators went on to say “journalists in Mindanao should re-examine the conduct of their colleagues who continuously violate their code of ethics.”

Bothering finds

“These findings bother us because we want to put an end to this violence and we need the cooperation of everyone,” an investigator added.

The investigators, however, stopped short of recommending what kind of journalism they had in mind to stop the apparent impunity in the killing  of hard-hitting broadcasters.

Monsignor Elmer Abacahin, head of the media group in Cagayan de Oro City confirmed the findings of the investigators but added this was “not sufficient reason to kill the victims.”

“We are supporting the victims because they are our colleagues, but we do not subscribe to their methods of reporting,” Abacahin told Inquirer in a telephone interview.

Other findings in the investigation alleged the victims “had donors na kalaban ng tinitira nila (had donors that are the rivals of those they attacked on the air),” he explained.

ADVERTISEMENT

He cited the case of Butalid, who was also a barangay councilman.  Butalid’s radio program was sponsored by the National Electrification Administration faction of the Davao del Norte Electric Cooperative, which is embroiled in a violent dispute with a procooperative faction.

Artist’s sketch

Investigators have released an artist’s sketch of the suspect provided by witnesses.

Virgilio Mendez, National Bureau of Investigation deputy director for regional services, said the killer of Butalid had been identified and an operation is in place to arrest him.

Butalid was reportedly popular among listeners because of his hard-hitting exposés against corruption and illegal activities, and the way powerful people practice politics.

RELATED STORIES:

De Lima alarmed over recent spate of media killings

3rd media slay in 2 weeks

Palace official condemns killing of broadcaster in Bukidnon

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bukidnon, Davao Del Norte, Joas Digos, Media killings, Michael Milo, Rogelio Butalid, Surigao del Sur, Tagum City, Tandag City, Valencia City
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.