PNP: It’s all quiet at the campaign front
THE first two days of the campaign for the barangay elections in Cebu were peaceful, according to police officials.
Still, chief of directorial staff Senior Supt. Edward Carranza asks all police station chiefs to provide security in all areas where candidates hold campaign activities to maintain peace and order.
No election-related incidents were reported so far in both Cebu City and Cebu Province.
In Cebu City, Chief Insp. Romeo Santander of the City Intelligence Branch (CIB) said that so far everywhere in the city is peaceful, not even arguments among candidates in the campaign trail were reported.
Santander hopes the situation will continue until the October 28-voting day.
The Regional Joint Security Control Center (RJSCC) will convene on October 25 for its final meeting to discuss poll preparations.
The RJSCC, composed of representatives from the PNP, military, and officials from the Commission on Election (Comelec), is expected to come up with a list of barangays which has security concerns for the elections.
They earlier identified 40 barangays in their election watchlist, most of which are in Negros Oriental.
Carranza said they will deploy personnel to their respective posts on October 26.
There are no Cebu City barangays in the watchlist but nine are considered areas of concern because of intense political rivalry. /CORRESPONDENT CHITO O. ARAGON
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.