Aftershocks in Bohol, parts of Visayas to continue 'from weeks to months'--Phivolcs | Inquirer News
Close  

Aftershocks in Bohol, parts of Visayas to continue ‘from weeks to months’–Phivolcs

/ 08:39 AM October 18, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — At least 1,597 aftershocks had been recorded from Tuesday’s earthquake that struck Central Visayas and parts of Mindanao.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said that there were 1,597 aftershocks as of 7 a.m. Friday, but only 29 of these were felt.

ADVERTISEMENT

The strongest of the aftershocks was the 5.5 magnitude recorded on Thursday morning.

“These may continue for weeks to months, but diminishing in number and strength as time passes. In this case, a higher magnitude earthquake related to this event is no longer expected to occur,” Phivolcs said.

FEATURED STORIES

As of Friday morning, 172 had been recorded killed from the temblor.

Police reports in Bohol said that there were 160 fatalities as of latest.

In Cebu, there were 11 killed while in Siquijor there was one, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said.

There are 375 injured, while 20 persons in Bohol are still missing.

There are 162,566 persons displaced in evacuation centers.

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: aftershocks, Bohol, Earthquake, Phivolcs
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.