SK polls dead, says Brillantes
MANILA, Philippines—The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is confident the Sangguniang Kabataan elections will not push through despite a threat by the SK National Federation to bring the matter of the postponement of its polls to the Supreme Court.
The measure postponing the youth council elections is awaiting the signature of President Aquino after Congress passed it last week.
“It’s OK. They can go to the Supreme Court if they want to. The elections will be over by then,” Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. said.
He expressed confidence the high court would not order the SK elections to proceed on Oct. 28, once the measure postponing it for one year is signed into law by the President.
SK national federation vice president for Luzon Paul Belmonte earlier said the measure was unconstitutional as it would leave the SK seats vacant.
Belmonte said the SK national federation was prepared to ask for a temporary restraining order from the Supreme Court once Aquino signs the SK polls postponement bill into law.—Tina G. Santos
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.