Belmonte in, Dela Cuesta out at Customs
A BUREAU of Customs (BOC) official dubbed as one of the so-called “Three Kings” will be the new district collector for Cebu.
Cebu district collector Edward dela Cuesta will be replaced by Ricardo Belmonte who was previously assigned at the Manila International Container Port (MICP). The appointment took effect last Tuesday, dela Cuesta told reporters yesterday.
The reassignment of the two officials was part of an agency-wide revamp promised by Customs Commissioner Ruffy Biazon in response to President Benigno Aquino’s State of the Nation Address where he criticized the agency’s dismal performance.
Dela Cuesta said the reassignment was announced to them Sept. 6.
Belmonte, brother of Speaker Feliciano Belmonte, was dubbed as one of the so-called “Three Kings” for allegedly being one of the “untouchables” in the BOC. It will be Belmonte’s second tour of duty in Cebu. He was Cebu district collector in 2009. Dela Cuesta said he will be replacing Carlos So at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) effective Sept. 27.
So, who is also one of the “Three Kings” will take over Belmonte’s post at the Manila International Container Port.
“There will be more work there (NAIA), there are a lot of airplanes,” he said. Dela Cuesta was district collector of Cebu since January last year.
“The employees here are very cooperative and supportive including the government offices,” dela Cuesta said.
The impending revamp prompted the BOC in Cebu to reschedule the public auction of the last batch of the Vietnam rice. /Correspondent Michelle Joy Padayhag